Although I didn’t want to resort to doing this so early in the month, my posting plans for tonight were thrown off kilter for a variety of reasons, so today I’m going to fill out that oh-so-popular meme that’s been taking MoFo blogs by storm and was created by Whoa Wren. It’s like a “get out of jail free” card for VeganMoFo, y’know? Shameless, but whatevs. So here ’tis.
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Probably Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla… I’ve not tried hemp or oat milk yet, but I will!
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Umm… I know I’m going to make the Ancho Lentil Soup with Grilled Pineapple soon, because that shyte is de-frickin-licious. Other than that, I’ll definitely resort to my “Crap I Want to Make” document when I need inspiration.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
I’m a kettle corn kind of girl – that salty/sweet juxtaposition gets me every time.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
In recent memory, I’d have to go with the big Lemony French Cake debacle, although I managed to salvage it fairly well.
5. Favorite pickled item?
Okay, confession time – I’m not a huge fan of pickled things, mostly because I don’t like anything that tastes strongly of vinegar. So I’d have to go with those lightly pickled cucumbers you get at certain homestyle restaurants… yum.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
They’re in virtual form in my aforementioned “Crap I Want to Make” document on the computer, and in solid form on index cards.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
All three, plus recycling, of course!
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Oh dear. Umm, dark chocolate, lemon poppy seed muffins (is that cheating?!), and mangoes.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
I have wonderful memories of Christmas morning; after waking our parents up at the crack of dawn, we’d be allowed to open our stockings before eating breakfast, which was always grapefruits and cinnamon buns. Heh.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
I’ve not tried very many yet, but the chocolate-hazelnut variety of Coconut Bliss is ridiculously delicious. Super unhealthy, though, so it’s really a treat.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
My blender, fo’ sho’. I lurve my Green Monsters.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
I’m debating between cumin and cinnamon… and cayenne… oh boy. Um, anything that begins with a ‘c’?
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
I only got my first cookbooks (VWAV and VCTOTW) last Christmas!
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Any sort of spicy, bean ‘n veggie laden chili always goes over well.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Aiii eee ooo, killer tofuuu!
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
I end up doing most of my baking in the evening, although late afternoon dinner making can also be delightful.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Nothing. My parents redid the kitchen about two years ago and my mom is kinda crazy about keeping it clean now.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
The aforementioned Coconut Bliss ice cream, some sort of veggie burger, and ice.
20. What’s on your grocery list?
Pineapple, ancho chilies, and some sort of non-dairy milk.
21. Favorite grocery store?
Trader Joe’s fo’ sho’.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
I guess I’d like to try my hand at a mac ‘n cheese…
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
FatFree Vegan Kitchen, Chocolate-Covered Katie, and Happy Herbivore, although I read most blogs equally often now that I’ve discovered the wonders of Google Reader!
24.Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Just give me a super dark chocolate and I’m a happy Vegga!
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
I dunno. The Coconut Bliss would fall under this category if I hadn’t had a coupon for a free pint, though!
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
I’m a little nervous about trying my hand at making seitan, but I wouldn’t say I’m scared of anything!
…okay, whew, that took longer than expected! I hope everyone fills this thing out, because I enjoy reading other people’s answers.